Between planning, packing, cleaning, loading, and paying, making the move from one home to another can be a headache. Luckily, the sale of your home is complete, but not many things are as dreaded as packing up and moving to a new house. How can you make this easier on yourself and ensure the move is stress-free? The key to a successful move is all about the details. So, let’s ease a little further into moving mode; here’s a master checklist for all your upcoming planning, packing, and moving.
The stress-free moving checklist.
Eight to ten weeks before your move:
- Get organized.
- Research and estimate your total moving expenses.
- Set your budget.
- Sort your belongings and decide what you will throw away, donate, or pack.
- Research moving companies. Be thorough, and be sure to read customer reviews.
Seven weeks before your move:
- Receive estimates from three moving companies.
- Order packing supplies such as boxes, bubble wrap, tape, etc.
- Declutter and downsize by throwing away unused items.
Six weeks before your move:
- Request necessary records and paperwork from your doctor, school, dentist, vet, etc.
- Contact the IRS to request information on what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Book a moving company. Confirm details of your move such as date, time, and specific requests.
- Take inventory of all your belongings.
- Document the condition of all your possessions.
- Determine replacement values for insurance purposes.
- Insure valuable items.
Four weeks before your move:
- Arrange transportation for your pets.
- Start packing some of the items you won’t need right away and label the boxes.
- Notify utilities of your move and setup services at your new residence.
- Fill out a change of address form with the US Postal Service.
- Work out your house insurance, transfer or adjust your policy as needed.
Two to three weeks before your move:
- Pack, pack, pack.
- Separate your valuables and arrange to move them yourself.
One week before you move:
- Don’t panic, remember to keep a level head and stay organized.
- Pack and clean everything you have been putting off.
- Double check your itinerary with the moving company, confirm they have proper directions and contact information.
- Arrange payments for deposits and movers.
- Double check your inventory and make sure everything is correctly packed and labeled.
- Double check the condition report of your possessions. Always keep multiple copies of this list for insurance and security purposes.
One day before you move:
- Pack your overnight essentials, clothes, toiletries, and jewelry in a suitcase and keep it with you.
- Ensure important documents are packed away and safe. These are to be kept with you at all times.
- Back up your computer.
- Accompany the mover as they inventory your possessions and double check the condition reports.
- Double check that everything is properly locked and all lights and ceiling fans are turned off.
- Conduct one last walk-through to make sure nothing was forgotten.
- Test the batteries of all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your new house.
Moving day plus one:
- Check your possessions for damage during the move, compare with the damage report.
- Test major appliances to ensure they still work properly. Do this immediately, some insurance policies have a limited time-frame to make a claim.
- Refer to your inventory to make sure nothing was lost.
- Ensure utilities are set up and working properly.
One week after moving:
- Update your list of emergency contacts.
- Register to vote.
- Change the address on your driver’s license.
- Update your vehicle registration.
- Find a new doctor, dentist, vet, etc.
Even more home sale and moving advice.
Moving as already a stressful situation. So, if you could take one more task off your to-do list, wouldn’t you do it?
If you’re having trouble selling your home, or if you need to sell it fast before you move, there is an easy solution. HomeGo provides a way to sell your home without the hassle, and you don’t have to worry about staging your home for showings amidst the packing tape and peanuts.
HomeGo specializes in fast, fair home sales and will buy your house no matter what condition it’s in. There’s no need to make any sort of repairs before the sale, there are no fees to pay, and we don’t even require commissions. You will earn top dollar from the sale of your home in as little as seven days, and you get to keep every bit of it.
So, go ahead and call the movers. Selling your home will be one less thing to worry about with HomeGo. It all starts with a personalized cash offer for your home. Just type in your address and you will see how much you’ll earn from the sale of your house.