Prevent and Prepare for House Fires: Are You Fireproof?

Posted on April 20th, 2018

Do you know what you would do in the instance of a house fire? Aside from saving themselves and their family, most people say they would grab up keepsakes, valuables, and other belongings with sentimental value.

But you might only have two minutes to escape. Are 120 seconds enough to save your most precious priorities? 

It’s essential to organize emergency plans properly beforehand and do everything you can to prevent a house fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there were over 1.3 million house fires in the year 2015 that resulted in losses for homeowners totaling $14.3 billion. Check out these 12 tips for house fire protection. 

1) If you can’t take the heat…still stay in the kitchen.

When frying, broiling, or grilling your dinner, stay in the cooking area until you are finished and all the heat sources are turned off. If you need to leave the kitchen or backyard grill, turn the heat source off. Some meals If you are cooking something for an extended period and you might need to leave the cooking area, check back regularly. 

2) Don’t add fuel to the fire.

Find anything that could catch fire and keep it far away from any cooking areas.. This could be clothing, tablecloths, dish towels, pot holders, or plastic bags. 

Tip: Keep pets and children away from countertops and cooking surfaces to prevent them from accidentally knocking something flammable onto a heat source.

3) Let the chimney be the one that smokes.

This should go without saying, but, it happens: don’t smoke in bed.

4) Keep material from going up in flames.

Keep any cloth, paper, or other flammable material at least three feet away from heaters, fireplaces, or any other item that gets hot. Turn off any heat source when you leave the area or if you are going to sleep.

5) Power down your electrical overcrowding.

Electrical fires are among the most common risk factors when it comes to fire. Never overload a power strip and always double-check all of your electrical cords to make sure they are in usable shape. Immediately replace any electrical cords that are frayed or worn out.

6) Keep your chimney squeaky clean.

If a chimney is not properly maintained, it can create a buildup of wood tar, vapors, and moisture known as creosote which is highly flammable and extremely dangerous. After the off-season, it’s crucial to have your chimney cleaned before the first winter use.

Tip: Have your chimney cleaned by a licensed chimney sweep and inspect for any parts that may have cracks, grime buildup, or other hazards.

7) The flame’s not worth the candle.

Always extinguish candles before you leave the area, especially before you go to sleep. Don’t risk your life for the sake of ambiance or sweet smelling fragrance; blow out those candles.

Tip: There are a lot of battery-powered candles that can light up your life without risking it.  

8) Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

60 percent of deaths are a result of non-working smoke alarms. Install smoke alarms inside bedrooms, outside sleeping areas, and on every level of your home. Routinely test the alarms to make sure they are in working order, and, of course, fix them if they are not working.

Tip: Stock up on batteries beforehand. Smoke alarms chirp when the batteries are low, and this sometimes leads to them being disabled out of it’s-the-middle-of-the-night-don’t-wake-me-up frustration. Keep a fresh supply of batteries on hand and change them out as needed. We even made it easy for you.

9) Keep out of reach of children.

Talk to your kids early and often about fire dangers. All sources of flame and heat should be kept out of reach and not portrayed as toys.

Tips: Children are curious. If you put away something hazardous, be sure you explain to them exactly why you are doing so. Leaving their questions unanswered could lead to them to investigate on their own.

10) What’s burning behind your walls?

If the electricity acts up on a regular basis, it could be a red flag. Frequent power outages and breaker overloads could be an alert to faulty wiring behind the walls of your home that needs to be replaced.

Tip: Unless you are a professional, certified electrician don’t attempt to fix the wiring on your own. Hire a professional and avoid any mishaps that could make the problem worse.

11) Map out a plan, and practice it. 

Have an escape route ready and make sure everyone in your family is well versed in what to do. An outside meeting point for everyone in your family is a great place to start.

Tip: Make sure everyone understands to “stop, drop, and roll” in the event their clothes catch fire. 

12) Carbon monoxide: the silent killer.

Carbon monoxide is just as big a threat as house fires. Install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central area of your home, as well as every level and outside sleeping areas. Know how to recognize the sound of a carbon monoxide alarm and a smoke alarm. In the case of a carbon monoxide alarm, get to a fresh air location immediately.

Tip: Never use anything that is powered by gasoline, natural gas, or charcoal inside a home or other partially enclosed area.

Does your house have fire damage?

Fire is a substantial threat that can happen to anyone, anywhere. If your home has been damaged by a house fire, the cost of repairs can be devastating. 

Don’t worry about the damage just yet. You have the option to avoid making repairs altogetherHomeGo will buy your house regardless of its condition. We are here to help relieve your financial burden so you can be sure that you can find a new place to call home.

We will pay you cash for your fire-damaged home. To receive your offer, you don’t even have to fill out any paperwork, just type in your address to get started.

Don’t burn a hole in your pocket to repair your fire-damaged house. Instead of fixing it, sell with HomeGo.

Get an offer on your home

*All fields required.
*All fields required.
Thank you!

We have received your request for a cash offer on your house!
We will be in contact with you shortly to provide you with our professional estimate and to discuss the next steps!